Thursday, June 19, 2008

~ '08 CM Conference ~ pt 2

During one of our evening chats, we discussed the Art of Knowing ~ Narration. In this group, a few of us discovered that we were allowing our children to summarize instead of narrate. The children were giving several key points but not actually asking themselves mental questions to produce a true retelling of what was read or heard. We also learned that we were not allowing true narration when we do alot of prompting or asking questions or interjecting with our experience before the narration had been completed. The child's brain wasn't being engaged and allowed to develop through the use of narration. In essence, we are to allow the child to narrate fully and once the narrator is satisfied, we can begin the great discussion. The great discussion is when all minds involved share their love and experience for a particular topic. It is highly used by great thinkers and considered a very enjoyable past time over great books.

I realize that I have been guilt of starting the “great discussion” before the narration or having them do something else which has resulted in either a poor narration or an overly emphasized one ~ one that has embellishments from others. This discussion has spark anew the desire to fully use CMs methods and I have embarked on a study to find out how to narrate so that I can effectively model this to my children. I don’t want summaries ~ they water down the retelling and I don’t want embellishments from me ~ they destroy the originality of the narrator.

So what is narration? We know its not summarizing or having a great discussion. Is it simply retelling what you’ve read or heard? Or is there more to this relatively simple method. I will be studying Volume 1 and 6 along with several Parents Review Articles. As I process this reading, I’ll share my thoughts.

I will leave you with a statement that I’m pondering found in PR Article Some Notes on Narration ~ “The less the teacher talks the more the class will have to think.” Now thats a very important point us homeschool moms need to grasp.

1 comment:

Leslie Noelani Laurio said...

"This discussion has spark anew the desire to fully use CMs methods and I have embarked on a study to find out how to narrate so that I can effectively model this to my children."

Dawn, this is a study I've committed to doing, too. I feel like I need to start at the beginning and re-learn what narration is. I'll read what you've listed and follow along.